Back to the Basics is a 14 week program designed for female runners 18 or older who want to strengthen their relationship with God and use their love for running as a tool to change their life. You will learn how to:
- Be yourself – who God created you to be – and stop comparing your life with others,
- Live in peace and fulfillment by living in God’s will for your life – it’s usually not what you think it is,
- Learn discipline, self-awareness, and self-care for God’s glory,
- Learn how to take on Jesus’ burden and live in freedom no matter what you do in life,
- Learn to be restful inwardly and outwardly while still living in the midst of a busy schedule,
- Stop living a life of rules and regulations, and
- Live with God instead of for or against
– All Through Running!
What does this Program include?
- Accountability in a small group setting! Who couldn’t use more of that?!
- As a group using WhatsApp group texting,
- With your coach, and
- With your accountability partner who will be assigned to you once your group is decided.
- Back to the Basics Downloadable workbook including:
- Week Two through Thirteen which has a weekly focus on one of the 12 basics of running,
- with 5 devotions a week,
- A weekly challenge,
- An occasional assignment, and
- A weekly training journal.
- Biweekly group meetings with like minded women, and
- Downloadable’s for the Preliminary (Week One) and the Follow Up (Week Fourteen)
What is the Primary Focus of Back to the Basics (B2B)?
Throughout life we experience pain, and sometimes that pain is caused by religion. There are so many rules and regulations, stipulations and to-do’s, it can get exhausting and pointless. Jesus came to earth to reconcile our relationship with the Father. He wants our hearts over what our hands can do for Him, and our focus over where our feet take us. He wants a relationship not your works. He wants you to surrender and die to yourself so you can experience real LIFE! Therefore our main goal during this course is to encourage one another to learn to Be Still and Run – to run WITH God – and to create a hunger and desire to do so the rest of our lives.
Why a Running Program?
Running encourages us to live a healthy life style on the inside and outside. As we become more experienced and really begin to enjoy running, we may want to be the best at this sport that we can, thus motivating us to take our lifestyle more seriously. This in itself is not a bad thing but it can take over our lives and become a focal point, pulling us to make decisions based on what will cause us to become better runners, and turning down everything that will keep us from advancing. Things that were originally important to us seem to unintentionally take a back seat. Running should be adding to your life valuable benefits, not reducing the value of your life, and this is where I think we need to go back to. There is so much about the beauty of this sport that we seem to miss, not even mentioning how so closely it resembles our walk with Christ!
What if you start the program and don’t like it?
You are free to drop out of your group at anytime, though we do not offer refunds. If however your group is still going and you decide you want to jump back in, you are also free to do so, if the group is still live. We do not want to hold anyone against their will as that would entirely defeat the purpose of this course. You will not change until your are ready.
What if you get injured during the program?
Runners will get injured, it’s part of the journey. Though we would suggest you be completely honest with your leader in how your body feels, so that they can advise you in the right direction. We are not responsible for any injury and cannot be held liable for anything that may happen to you during this course, before, or thereafter. (Read our full disclaimer here.) We do however encourage you to seek professional help in recovering from your injury. You are welcome to continue with your group for encouragement and accountability during your recovery, and we encourage you to continue working on the spiritual side of running in the process.
What do you need in order to join?
We use RunKeeper and WhatsApp throughout the program so you will need to download and set up an account for each. When your group is created you will be added along with the others so we can encourage and keep each other accountable to our individual goals and workouts.
You will also need a good pair of running shoes. Getting fitted is the safest route, but not everyone has the opportunity to do that, or the desire to spend over $100 on a pair of shoes. We wrote a general guideline of how you can fit yourself for shoes and what to keep an eye out for, which you can find here.
You will also need to fill out the application form and schedule a video call in order to apply for an opening.
Why go Back to the Basics?
A lot of times when we start something new, there is excitement and a focus on the fundamentals or basics of the activity. We know that we must learn these in order to build a good foundation in becoming better at it. The same goes for running physically and spiritually. There are foundational things that must be kept in the back of our mind and made habits in order to become the best version of ourselves that we can be.
However as we go about our daily lives, we start to let busyness take over and we skimp out on things like our warm-ups, cool-downs, rest, and nutrition. These are normally the first things to go because “We just don’t have time”. But the truth is, you can’t afford to “just not have time” if you want to keep running, because you will wind up getting injured or burnt out, not just in your runs, but in life in general. If we want to keep running, we must remind ourselves of the basics and make it a priority to keep a strong foundation.
Who Do We Help?
- Those who are tired of living in legalism and religion
- Those who are tired of living by a bunch of rules and regulations
- Those who are tired of comparing themselves with others and want to live freely being themselves – who God created you to be
- Those who want to learn discipline, self-awareness, and self-control for God’s glory using running
- Those who want to start living with God instead of for or against
- Those who want to live in peace and fulfillment, being totally satisfied and free in Jesus
- Those who want to learn to run their race, the purpose God created for them, and not someone else’s
- Those who want to be totally satisfied in their relationship with Christ
- Those who want to learn how to take on Jesus’ burden which is easy and light
- Those who want to use running for God’s glory
- Those who want to feel loved and cared for by God so that you don’t have to rely on people to love you
- Those who want to better understand what it takes to be a follower of Christ
- Those who want to be in a community of like-minded women
- Those who want to be restful on a busy schedule
- Those who want to live by truth
- Those who want to make a difference in their life
- Those who are hungry for change
- Those who are tired of doing the same thing over and over again but aren’t getting results they want
- Those who want to enrich their life
- Those who love challenges
- Those who need a refreshment on the basics of running both physically and spiritually
- Those who want a relationship with Jesus
- Those who want to run but don’t know where to start, or want accountability and a group for encouragement and motivation in your training
– All through running with Jesus!
Who Do We Not Help?
- Those who have it all together
- Those who are doing good in life
- Those who don’t need Jesus
- Those who don’t need change in their life
- Those who don’t want to run
- Those who don’t like challenges
- Those who aren’t willing to be vulnerable and open in order to become free
- Those who love religion – the rules and regulations
- Those who love a restless unfulfilled heart
- Those who are not willing to commit
- Those who are not willing to give their life to Jesus
- Those who only want to add Jesus to their life rather than surrender their life to Him
- Those who love the world and everything in it
- Those who do not want accountability
If you have a desire to join us but aren’t ready, or if you know you should but you feel resistance in your heart, I challenge you to pray and tell God you are willing to be made willing if He’ll change your heart. This course will not help you if you have any or all of the above factors in your life and heart, so please wait till you are ready.
Still not sure if this course is for you?
Want to See Week One of the Back to the Basics Workbook? Great! Click Here
“Let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.“